The story begins with this guy. Mostly because it was his birthday that we were going to. I was informed that it was 6 hours away from here. BIG lie. Regardless of how far away it actually was, Happy 21st Knighty, and thanks for giving us the opportunity for such an adventure.
| 21. |
We get to Macquarie and meet up with Cain and Sam who are driving us down to the party. We were aware that there was some flooding where we were going but everyone else had managed to make it so we figured we would be fine. The drive itself at the beginning was pretty uneventful...except for the fact that it was way longer than 6 hours. We called to make sure we were going the right way and Knighty's mom told us to call her when we got to one part of the road because it was flooded over and she would drive in front of us since their were huge pot holes. Cain told her that we had pretty good drivers and we would only call if we hit trouble. It was getting dark and we were in the middle of the country/middle of nowhere. We drove through the first set of water and it was really scary, pretty deep and just a frightening experience. The check engine light came on every time we went through water but eventually it would turn off. When we got to the water that Knighty's mom had warned us about Cain and Sam got out of the car and walked through the water to check how deep it was and where the pot holes were. They decided the best way to make it through was if Cain drove the car and Vince, Sam and I stood in the water marking off the pot holes. So basically we were all knee deep in water, being attacked by mozzies and being used as traffic cones. I will be nicer to traffic cones from now on since their jobs terrifying. This is a photo of Cain's car driving through the next day. The water had gone down a lot, but it still came up over his lights. The drive was only so scary because it was dark and we couldn't see anything. Plus when Vince and I were waiting for them to walk the water we heard something swimming in it...it was like a horror movie.
| its a lot less scary in daylight... |
We put our stuff in the dodgy house we would be sleeping in, got changed and went to the party. Apparently the party was a cocktail themed event which Vince and I didn't know so we didn't dress up for the occasion. Plus when I was putting on my pants I broke the zipper so I had to walk around looking like an idiot all night. RIP fave party pants. The first drink I had at the party I spilled on myself...so shirt and pants were a fail.
| Me and my roadtrip pal Sam |
When we first got there I was sprayed with bug spray but based on how itchy I am today it wasn't very effective. I have huge mozzie bites all over my legs, back and arms. So unfortunate. But I will say this, the mozzies might be bad...but the stars in the country were INCREDIBLE. I could not get over how amazing they were. You could see so many and I saw a bunch of constellations and a few shooting stars....hopefully that luck helps me out in the future.
We slept on mattresses in a big room in this dodgy house. When we woke up in the morning we showered before we went to eat breakfast. I showered in the most questionable shower that didn't have a door or curtain and no hot water. FUN. We ate breakfast and played with the CUTEST puppies ever and then we decided to hit the road. Vince and I rode home with Cam and Brad instead this time and I had a bit more room in the car so I wasn't as uncomfortable. At one point we encountered a herd of cows that was all up in the road.
| moooo-ve cow! |
I'm in the airport headed to Melbourne now and I'm really looking forward to it for lots of reasons! SO excited. Missing everyone at home! XO
| countryside |
No comments:
Post a Comment