Thursday, 22 September 2011

midterms, haircuts, salted prunes and bubble tea!

Well another eventful week is over! Time sure is flying over here. This week was midterm week meaning this coming week is STUDY BREAK, aka SPRING BREAK and a bunch of us are off to Bali for the week! I still haven't fully packed, but I have a few more hours until I leave and decided to blog some of that time away so I can fully inundate you with all the greatness of Bali when I return. We had a pretty great week, the weather was a little rainy, but from what I hear about home its always rainy there so we'll be happy with a little bit of rain. Plus once the rain stops the sun comes out and the sun here is just so warm! Probably has something to do with that missing ozone...AND if the sun comes out before the rain stops there are rainbows! I saw one on Sunday I think that started in a really dark and cloudy part and reached across the sky to a brightly lit section, it was pretty snazzy. I took a picture of it, but it was through my screen window so not the best but at least I can share it somewhat with you...
rainbow through the screen window

Midterms this week were pretty uneventful. I only had one for Australian Economic History and it was called a Sight Seen Test, so the professor gave us the 3 possible questions and we studied for all 3 and then on the day of the test we were only tested on one of them, it was a pretty different type of test but I really enjoyed it because I felt like I really knew my stuff...unlike last week's micro midterm where as soon as I walked into the room I forgot everything...fail.

Yesterday I decided to get a hair cut. I was going to try to grow it out but it was getting thick and heavy and I was not a fan. So I called the hair salon that was most recommended and got an appointment for 5pm. Since I don't have a car here and needed to take a bus it was a little more complicated than a usual hair cut trip. Thanks to Ryanne, we managed to find the correct bus to take and map out my route. Since I am an anxious traveller I left about an hour before my appointment and got off the stop near the salon. I found the salon, crossed the street to the other side and found out what times the bus back would be. I then went into a shopping center, bought a few magazines and then sat in a coffee shop and caught up on my celebrity gossip. The hair cut itself was pretty uneventful, except the lady tried to convince me to shave a part of my head which apparently is very stylish in Australia. I kindly turned her down informing her that I am in fact, not that trendy. I walked out of the shop at around 5:50 which was unfortunate because the bus came at 5:47 so I had to sit in the cold and wait until 6:20 for the next bus. The bus that didn't finally come didn't go directly passed UWA so I had to get off an walk a couple of blocks back to Currie. Overall it was a very successful, 3+ hour adventure.

bubble tea, tapioca pearls
Last night we went to a Currie Hall event called the Global Cafe. These are put on once a month and showcase different countries each time so we can learn about the many cultures of our fellow residents. Last night's topic was Taiwan. Zoe did an amazing job presenting on her country that I previously knew nothing about. Lots of informative and entertaining videos and tons of information. After the presentation was Bubble Tea time. Bubble Tea is a Taiwanese treat. It is basically tea, milk and tapioca pearls in a sealed cup with a big fat straw. It is served cold and pretty delicious. I really liked the tea part but was not a huge fan of the tapioca balls. They were kind of slimy and sort of chewy, but for the experience I had to try it.

salted dried plums. YUM.
For the experience I also had to try the salted plums. Let me tell you, if zoute drop makes you cringe and squirm salted plums are NOT for you. They looked harmless enough so I popped one in my mouth and bit into it. First of all, you can't bite into salted plums because they have a seed in the middle. They also are very very very salty. Like painfully and uncomfortably salty and sweet. Sort of like the face you make the first time you eat a war head, but saltier and chewier. I managed to chew all the plum off the seed without spitting out but others just couldn't handle it. Worth the experience, but still not sure I will be jumping at the chance to eat one again, especially since someone felt the need to record my painful experience.



Anyway, I have to finish packing and getting ready for the trip tonight. Our flight isn't until like 7:40 pm so I still have some time but if I keep procrastinating I won't ever finish. I can't wait to share all of the photos and stories with you guys when I get back. I will be absorbing all the sunshine for you guys back home just like Frederic. Have a great week! xo

childhood flashback.

No comments:

Post a Comment