| UWA School of Business |
| helpful sign |
SO, a lot of people have been asking me what it is like down here and what sort of things are different from being home. The most significant thing that I have noticed is how nice and helpful everyone around here is. The day we were wandering in the city we literally could have asked anyone on the street for help and been practically 100% guaranteed that they would help point us in the right direction or at least in the direction of someone who could help us out.
The toilets do not spin in the other direction. In fact they don't spin at all. The water comes from the front and the back of the bowl and then it all goes down the drain, there is no spinning motion whatsoever, more like a waterfall from two directions. Most toilets also have a half flush and full flush option so you can conserve water.
The light switches are also different. The ones that turn on the outlets are flat dime sized buttons and the ones that turn on the lights are about the size of a tictac. You also flick them down to turn them on and up to turn them off which is the opposite of the US. The outlets are also differntly shaped and the amount of voltage allowed is lower in our rooms so if I want to use a blowdryer I have to use it in the bathroom.
The dial tone is also diffent when you make a call. To me it is more unpleasant and harsher than the dial tone at home. I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough and then not like the one at home but for now it sounds so weird when I call out.
| zig zag crosswalk alert |
Something else that I noticed while wandering around is the cross walks. I'm not sure if you can tell from this photo but beyond the actually cross walk on the right side is a zig zag line. The zig zag line signals that a cross walk is coming up. I have never seen this before in the US but maybe we have them and I just have never noticed them. I may be getting better at walking on the left side of the path but I still forget which way to look when crossing the street. Obviously I look both ways several times since I'm so scared of getting hit by a car but its still funny to instinctively look right even though the closest car would be coming up the left side. Also hilarious, today I thought a dog was driving a car and then realized that the dog was the front seat passenger on the left side of the car and the human was of course driving on the right side of the car.
Everything here is also a lot more money. Postage to the US is about $1.60 for letters and they also don't have the stamps that are like stickers. Instead they have those gross tasting ones that you have to lick. Conveniently they have this little roller thing that moistens them for you so you don't have to lick them. It cost me $3 to do my laundry today too. $1 per washer and I used two and then $1 for 30 mintues in the dryer. The $1 and $2 money are coins and they dont have one cent or two cent pieces anymore so when you buy something they round it up or down to a mulitple of 5 to make it easier. The bus into the city was $2.60 one way but apparently once Uni starts we will get a bus pass and it will be discounted to about 80cents per way. Alcohol is also supposed to be pretty expensive like $50-$80 for a typical bottle of vodka and upwards from there. Everyone mostly drinks wine which is cheaper and they have a boxed wine, commonly referred to as goon, that costs about $11 for 4 liters...quite the bargain. I haven't gone out partying yet but I'm sure once I do my liver and wallet will not be pleased. Just kidding, only my wallet will be upset because I am a responsible drinker.
| pink car! |
I think I'm going to take a nap now, doing laundry and walking in the rain really tired me out. I have yet to conquer jetlag but I feel a victory coming on quite soon! xo
No comments:
Post a Comment